The Old Anglican Church Mahone Bay

 Finished in 1833.

Who's Who

About Us, Covenant of Grace & Our History

We are situated in the beautiful village of Mahone Bay, in Lunenburg County on the South Shore of Nova Scotia. Our parish also includes Christ Church in nearby Maitland. We are a friendly congregation and welcome visitors. Please drop in when you're in the area and if you live here, consider joining our worship community.

Parish Contacts:
Rector:  Rev'd Dr. Patti Brace 902-624-9021  
Administrator: Emily Diehl
Office:   902-624-8614
Address: 14 Parish Street, Box 25, Mahone Bay, NS, B0J 2E0 
Email: stjamesofficemb[at]
Facebook Coordinator: Ashley Slauenwhite 

St. James' Wardens 
Margot Lutes 
Stuart Hirtle 
Leslie Knickle 
Christ Church. Maitland Wardens 
Stuart Dauphinee 
Doreen Wheeler

Organists & Choir Directors: Sam Tidd & Mark Eisnor 
Email: music.mahonebay[at]
ACW: Elizabeth Spinney  
Altar Guild: Sandy Hippern & Joan Langille 
Custodian: Shaun Marek
Envelope Secretary: Marilyn Tremere
Flower Fund : Margot Lutes
Food Bank Coordinator: Tom Spinney
Outreach: Jenny Sandison
Parish Treasurer: Sharon Wade
Parish Safety Officer: Brad Tremere
Property: Brad Tremere
Sunday School Superintendent & CBL Coordinator: Tom Ernst  

The Parish of St. James' Covenant of Grace 
We, the parishioners of the Parish of St. James, responsibly seek to live in a caring, supportive, and mature community united in our love of God, one another, and ourselves. We hereby promise to individually and collectively uphold the relational grace expressed in this Covenant and to gently hold each other accountable to live out the following values and behaviours: 
Grace transforms us. 
Grace is a spiritual gift that comes to us through prayer, discernment, and faithfulness to what Jesus taught and modeled. Grace cares and rescues. When we practice grace, we give up our need for control. Grace is about mercy, not merit, and we give it freely to all. 
Respect guides us. We are guided by respect for each other, our differences, and personal boundaries. We strive to understand and promote diversity, inclusion, and equity. Our relationships with each other are welcoming and patient ones of friendship, acceptance, generosity, and tolerance. 
Authenticity reassures us. Honesty, openness, and accountability allow us to communicate directly with each other. We each speak for ourselves only and do so with integrity and transparency. We accept disagreement and conflict as normal and as opportunities for dialogue and understanding. 
Curiosity drives us. We are driven by curiosity, not judgement. We lovingly ask gentle questions of each other, listen reflectively to answers given, and seek understanding and common ground. Curiosity is the path we choose to lead us safely to mercy, forgiveness, reconciliation, and peace. 
Emotions nurture us. Christ’s love defines our hearts and actions. We love each other deeply and sincerely. We practice kindness and patience. Our love for each other includes thoughtfulness, cooperation, and empathy. We see the good in others and are compassionate, caring, and encouraging. 

About Our Rector
Patti has been rector of the Parish of Mahone Bay since November 2021 and currently serves as Regional Dean for the South Shore Region. 

She hails from the Diocese of Algoma in northern Ontario, where she was an English professor for 20 years. She was ordained deacon in 2018 and priest in 2019. As deacon, she served as honorary associate at Christ Church, Lively, and St. John the Divine, Copper Cliff. As priest, she served on the north shore of Lake Superior at St. Mary's, Nipigon, and St. John's, Schreiber. 

Patti and her English cocker spaniel, Lyra, love exploring the beautiful beaches and trails of the south shore while cats Simon and Phil keep watch at the rectory windows.

Our History
St James' Church has a lengthy history. The site for its first building on land, donated by John William Kedy, at the Mushamush burial ground on Clearland Road overlooking the head of the bay, was approved by Bishop John Inglis in 1826. 
The building was completed in 1833. A galleried Georgian-style building, its original pews were boards placed on heavy blocks of wood, and the walls were only single-boarded for a long time, making the building drafty. The building was improved in 1834 and Ezra Ernst was hired as sexton at a salary of £2 per year with instructions to sweep the floor once a month. 
The church was consecrated in 1835 by Bishop Inglis. There was no priest, however, and the congregation was served by the priest at St John's in Lunenburg until about 1845, when the Rev J. Philip Filleul was appointed. He was succeeded in 1852 by the Rev William Henry Snyder, who served until his death in 1889 except for a brief absence in 1874-75. 
By 1858 the chapel had become too small for the growing congregation so it was cut apart and greatly enlarged. Some years later the square tower was added. By the 1880s it was again too small and was in poor condition so it was decided to build a new church at the bottom of the hill, on its present site. This huge project was spearheaded by the Rev Ned Harris, who came to St James in 1884 as curate to Snyder and succeeded him as rector in 1889, remaining until his death in 1913, an astonishing 47 years. 
The new church was designed by Harris' brother, William Critchlow Harris, an architect who designed several impressive churches throughout the Maritime provinces. Much of the actual work was done voluntarily by members of the congregation. Meanwhile, the rectory had been built in 1847. Originally designed in the Gothic Revival style, it was extensively modified in 1905, adding a second storey. When Harris lived there it exhibited several paintings by another brother, Robert Harris, a highly successful painter best known for his portrait of the Fathers of Confederation.